History of the Nigerian Society of Engineers

The Nigerian Society of Engineers was established in London, England, on the 6th of
February, 1958, with Engr. Chief G. O. Aiwerioba as President and Engr. Chief T. Teju
Oyeleye as secretary. About a year later, a branch of the society was established at
Abeokuta on 18th of January, 1959 followed shortly afterwards by the establishment of
the National secretariat in Lagos with Engr. Chief Adeniyi Williams as President and
Engr. G. O. Aiwerioba as Secretary.
The Society was formally inaugurated in Lagos on the 20th of August, 1960 by the Prme
minister of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, Sir Abubakar Tafawa Balewa.

The Nigerian Society of Engineers (NSE) is the National umbrella organisation for the
engineering profession in the Country. It was incorporated as a Company limited by
guarantee and not having a share capital in 1967. The original Memorandum and Articles
of Association were amended on 1st December 1998. Like some of its counterparts in
other professions, the Society has distinguished itself through progressive and
imaginative programmes to become the avenue for the professional development of its
members as well as technological development of the country.

The NSE has built its Secretariat at the Federal Capital, Abuja, and is presently
developing the phase2 of the secretariat. This is in addition to the National Engineering
Centre at Engineering Close, Victoria Island Lagos which used to be the National
Secretariat.

The Society has over fifty-two Branches in nearly all the states of the federation and
sixteen divisions formed along different engineering disciplines.


History of the Calabar Branch
The Calabar Branch of the Nigerian Society of Engineers was formed and approved by
council in 1968. Chronologically, it is the
fifth oldest branch in the federation. It is one the
oldest branches in the country and has grown over the years to produce other branches,
to include: Uyo Branch (1985), Ikot Abasi Branch (1998), and Eket Branch (2000)


Past Chairmen
Engr. J. U. Egbe, FNSE                         -           1982 – 1984
Engr. Ekpe Essien Ita, FNSE                -           1987 – 1989
Engr. Pius O. Okpa, MNSE                  -           1990 – 1992
Engr. E. E. Ekpenyong, MNSE             -           1992 – 1994
Engr. Ansa A. Archibong, MNSE         -           1994 – 1995
Engr. P. N. Nkom, MNSE                     -           1995 – 1998
Engr. Bassey I. Oqua, FNSE                -           1998 – 2001
Engr. Essesien Bassey, FNSE              -           2001 - 2007
Engr. Mfon T. Essien, FNSE                  -          2007 - 2010
Engr. Godwin A. Agba, MNSE               -        2010 - present

Office
From it's inception,the Calabar branch of the Nigerian Society of Engineers  
never really had a permanent location for its secretariat; as new Chairmen
came on board, the secretariat was moved through various offices and
residences, till it was resided at No.1 Diamond Hill in  2004. The branch
Secretariat remained there till it was given a permanent office at the 6th floor
of the imposing Okoi Arikpo house at No.16 Calabar Road in 2010. However,
the branch is still working hard to realise its long-held dream of developing its
own multi-floor, multi-purpose structure.
The Nigerian Society of Engineers
Calabar Branch (Established Since 1968)